International Transient Study
As defined by Emory College of Arts and Sciences, transient study allows students the opportunity to enroll as a guest at another accredited school during the summer, while receiving credit toward their Emory degree.
International Transient Study is for students on F-1 or J-1 visa status, with less than 64 academic credit hours, who seek to return to their country of origin during the summer following their freshman year.
Students who want to complete transient study within the United States (Domestic Transient Study) must submit an application directly to the Office of Undergraduate Education. Students who want to complete transient study outside the United States in their home country must complete the International Transient Study application process with Emory College Study Abroad.Eligibility for International Transient Study
To apply for International Transient Study, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at the end of preceding semester
- Have fewer than 64 credit hours (Oxford students must be freshman who are planning to return to Oxford to finish their degree following their International Transient Studies)
- Be in good academic standing
- Be enrolled full-time at Emory College or Oxford the semester prior and following their studies in home country
- Be enrolling in an accredited university or institution in their home country
- Be on J-1 or F-1 visa status in the USA (and can provide a copy of I-20 or DS 2019 form)*
- Have less than 24 transfer credit hours on their Emory transcript (including the hours you plan to take during your transient study summer)**
*If you are not on a J-1 or F-1 visa, please contact Emory College Study Abroto see if you still are eligible.* In cases where students have lived in multiple locations abroad, 'home country' or 'country of origin' is defined as the country where the student completed their high school education.
**Beginning Fall 2011, and thereafter, entering first-year students may be granted a combined total of twenty-four transfer credit hours (this includes any transfer credit hours that are on your Emory transcript such as IB, AP and transient study credit hours).
Application Process and Deadlines
If you are an international student seeking to study in your home country during the summer term, you must complete the International Transient Study online application (due April 3rd). For questions, please contact Emory College Study Abroad at email@example.com.
For students (both international and U.S. permanent residents) who would like to study overseas and who do not meet the eligibility requirements for International Transient Study please make an appointment to meet with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss the study abroad opportunities available.