Summer Costs and Refund Policy
The cost of the program is listed in the program brochure, on this website, and in your acceptance email to the program. You will also be able to view your bill for the program through OPUS once you have been registered for summer study abroad classes.
For summer programs, full payment is generally due mid May. For the exact date please consult your final acceptance letter that was emailed to when you were accepted to the program. Please remember that visiting students will have an earlier payment deadline and will be contacted by Emory College Study Abroad with specific payment instructions.
You can pay via OPUS or through the Office of Student Financial Services, as you normally would for on-campus classes. You will not receive a paper bill, and you must access your student account through OPUS. Through the guest access program, you can give your parents (or other trusted persons) permission to pay bills online. If you have any questions about how to make payment or about any balances due on your account, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services directly at 404-727-6095. If you have any questions about financial aid, loans, or scholarships, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
If you are intending to use a loan to finance your summer study abroad program, you should start the application process as soon as possible after acceptance to the program. Approval of the loan must be received by the Office of Financial Aid no later than the summer study abroad payment deadline; otherwise, your participation on the program may be jeopardized if your program is not paid in full by this deadline.
If you need to cancel your application for any reason, you must do so in writing (an email from your Emory email account will suffice) to Emory College Study Abroad no later than March 15.
The $75 application fee is non-refundable. The $350 deposit is non-refundable unless a student is not accepted into the chosen study abroad program.
Date Cancelled and Penalty
- On or before March 15: Forfeit of the deposit only.
- March 16 to March 31: Forfeit of the deposit and 25% of the program fee.
- April 1 to 2 weeks before Program start date: Forfeit of the deposit and 50% of the program fee.
- 2 Weeks before Program Start Date to Program Start Date: Forfeit of the deposit and 100% of the program fee.
- After Program Start Date: Forfeit of the deposit and 100% of the program fee; tuition refund subject to the Emory College Summer School Tuition Refund Schedule (Please contact Emory College Study Abroad for details.)
In addition, Emory College Study Abroad reserves the right to charge for any unrecoverable* costs already paid on your behalf by the program that are above and beyond the forfeited program fee.
* Emory University and Emory College Study Abroad must often undertake substantial financial commitments on behalf of students prior to the beginning of a summer study abroad program. Even if you have not yet paid the full program balance, you are obligated to pay for any unrecoverable expenses incurred on your behalf. Unrecoverable costs may include expenses for both individual and group services. Individual expenses are items such as train/airplane tickets or pre-paid room reservations. Group expenses may include bus rentals, payment to tour guides, etc. For example, if the program budget is based on a minimum of 15 participants, and the 15th student withdraws, then a portion of the cost for some group services also becomes an unrecoverable expense.
If you choose not to participate in a program activity, either mandatory or not mandatory, (such as a field trip, excursion, cultural event, meal, etc.), you will not be refunded any portion of the cost of the program.
If you are dismissed from the program, you will receive no refund.